Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

New Creator Theme: Elders! - posted on 1st Sep 2018 at 11:43 AM
Replies: 9 (Who?), Viewed: 2493 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 2:24 PM
Default How do i change menu names?
I ran into this issue while attempting to turn Magivestigium into Apparate, because i couldn't find it anywhere (could be copyright thing, or a dead end..).
What i did:
- opened objects.package and started scrolling down through pie menu strings until i found the one for ground, then exported that;
- looked in pie functions for one belonging in the same group, and exported that too;
- cloned Magivestigium from the workshop in order to export whatever included its name (turned out to be NREF, OBJD and CTSS);
- imported them all into a new package, edited what i could, saved.

The result was that the spell book now calls it Apparate, with the 3 D-s instructions, but the ground tile menu stays the same. I cannot find anything that changes the menu back, or that tries to appeal to a different one. The small question is how do i fix this, please? But there's also a larger one, whether something guards the game from such changes, and needs modifying too. I'm asking because i tried to remove that pesky comma in the college diploma text, and it's still there, although i made it say custom major name at least.

saint_diana, true Ravenclaw
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 11:53 PM
TTAs and STR# are often involved in pie menu building.

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 8:03 AM
I didn't move strings over because all of those in the group had to do with things i wasn't going to change: animation names, a debug text, etc. Since this halfway change doesn't affect the functionality of the spell, i take it that it knows where to find those things even if they're in a different file instead of duplicated.

just a girl
#4 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 11:12 PM
Do not edit NREF and OBJD. Their names are internal and have nothing to do with what you see in game. Delete these resources from your package.

Only edit CTSS (catalog description), TTAs (pie menu strings) and/or STR# (instance # 12E, usually called MakeActionString prim string set).

Remember you can use the Simantics Resource Finder under Tools - PJSE. It's very handy

I could find "magivestigium" in destination's TTAs (group 7F1F956A). Destination objects are responsible for what you'd call the ground tile menu.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 9:27 AM Last edited by st_d : 14th Jun 2018 at 10:47 AM.
Thank you for the very clear help.
I admit it had been quite tempting to try and make the game forget the word magivestigium entirely, but if this ends up working, it's close enough. I'll edit later with results.
-------------------
eta: I'm stumped. Removing those 2 didn't help, nor separating the spell description from the menu. I found a MakeActionString for this, but it contains everything ground-related *except* magivestigium and the meditation teleport. Had another look at BHAVs and none of them references a menu change. Oh well.

just a girl
#6 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 12:06 PM
Have you tried editing the pie menu strings (TTAs) of destination object (group 7F1F956A)? Sorry, if it's a dumb question, you didn't say if it worked or not.

I've suggested you to leave out NREF and OBJD because editing those files' names won't change menu strings. I can't say it'd do harm to edit their names, but I don't know about NREF. In any case, they won't help your cause.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 5:48 PM
That's the one, and no, it didn't work. Most of the time since then has been spent not changing anything, but searching, and indeed finding all sorts of other unrelated things. On an object the menu change happens without problem, i've been adapting the Picked! Memory Manager to suit my needs. So this might be one of those projects that when left alone, it could grow on its own and surprise us all with a revelation or an accident, but for now it has to be side-lined. Thank you for trying.

just a girl
#8 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 2:21 PM
Renaming Magivestigium in Pie Menu Strings (TTAs) for destination should have affected the ground menu. I am sure of it. If overriding it didn't work, then maybe you have some other mod that modifies the same resource and it conflicts with your own file. HCDU might help finding it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 9:26 AM
Out of sheer desperation when nothing else worked (including not only conflict check, but removing all other downloads), i clicked Default language only. In my mind, if i edit in English and my game is in English, all should be good for personal use. What a silly thing to have stopped me. Thank you very much for the suggestions along the way, they'll make future projects easier . Do you think it's something people might want, especially in view of the upcoming movie nights? A Potterverse teleport? It seems too small to upload, but dunno.

just a girl
#10 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 5:33 PM
There are at least two types of English in the game strings: English and UK English, maybe even more, I'm not sure. Maybe your game's English isn't the one you thought it was.
I wouldn't know if it's something people would want, you should ask someone who likes supernaturals.