Replies: 22 (Who?), Viewed: 10276 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 11:23 PM Last edited by engdalmagnus01 : 1st Feb 2019 at 12:06 AM.
Default New European-styled world!!!
REICHELSTADT - European Dutch star-shaped town
Hello everybody. I have been working on this project for some time now, and I wanted to share my progress so far. It's a European styled world, including a typical European town, a Dutch star-shaped town, mountain regions and farmlands. I still have work to do, such as more landscaping, tree-placing, lot-building and city-planning! It is not finished. The world takes inspiration from many places. The star-shaped city is supposed to be Willemstad in Holland. Other than that, I have for the most part taken inspiration from German and Norwegian places. Pictures are included.

I really(!!) want to hear from the community, for tips and if there are places or things I should add. I would love getting advice or critique.

The street names will be German an example would be "├ťberstra├če 2", and names of the inhabitants in the save file will have German and Norwegian names. The actual names of the lots, however, vill be in English so most can understand. The proposed name of the world as for now is "Reichelstadt", but might change. Feel free to come with names. German names though.

I am also considering adding tombs and a base camp to the world to make it suitable for World Adventures so people can visit using the NRAAS Traveller Mod, but I need to figure out how to upload the world with the population already included, no save file necessary first!

[B]Pictures with captions below! Take a look!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 6:49 AM
This is looking really great so far. I look forward to seeing more. I like it a lot.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 8:22 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 10th Jan 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Ooooh. I like this a lot. It's a European world made by someone who seems to have some idea of what they're doing, and it's traditional without being cheesy. Those are qualities I appreciate. I get so tired of seeing European worlds that look like everyone's still in the 18th century when in fact, North- and Western Europe are on the forefront of modern living.

A while back there was someone who was pissed off about how EA thinks France is still stuck in the 50s, so they converted Champs-les-Sims into an actual 50s world and it looked great.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 1:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
Ooooh. I like this a lot. It's a European world made by someone who seems to have some idea of what they're doing, and it's traditional without being cheesy. Those are qualities I appreciate. I get so tired of seeing European worlds that look like everyone's still in the 18th century when in fact, North- and Western Europe are on the forefront of modern living.

A while back there was someone who was pissed off about how EA thinks France is still stuck in the 50s, so they converted Champs-les-Sims into an actual 50s world and it looked great.

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback. If you have tips just say it. I will be adding more screenshots as I keep on developing.
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Jan 2019 at 8:04 PM
I love it! I look forward to seeing the fully finished version.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 2:57 PM
This is looking beautiful and very atmospheric and indeed, very European. You've captured the German/Scandinavian feel beautifully. Your screenshots are a pleasure to see.
I particularly like the idea of a sense of history - the fort, the buildings with turrets, giving a feel of an old town with a lot of stories. Very much a European town and done so incredibly well. The idea of the fort having a tomb beneath is a wonderful one - ideal for local archaeologists to explore.
If this is an example of your town, I look forward very much to meeting the residents eventually. Fantastic job, very talented
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 5:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyhissy
This is looking beautiful and very atmospheric and indeed, very European. You've captured the German/Scandinavian feel beautifully. Your screenshots are a pleasure to see.
I particularly like the idea of a sense of history - the fort, the buildings with turrets, giving a feel of an old town with a lot of stories. Very much a European town and done so incredibly well. The idea of the fort having a tomb beneath is a wonderful one - ideal for local archaeologists to explore.
If this is an example of your town, I look forward very much to meeting the residents eventually. Fantastic job, very talented

thank you!! Keep an eye, I will upload updated screenshots soon.
Puffin McMuffin
staff: administrator
#8 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 10:17 PM
Moved it to the feedback forums! I think this pretty world would get more attention this way!
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 3:46 PM
I really like the church and the Star-shaped town, though the canals could be a tad deeper, as they are in real life. Also an idea I have for a tomb (or just as decoration) would be a Hunebed, which are prevalent in the Northern Netherlands and a few in Northern Germany.
As far as I know the originally were grave hills.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!

Soundcloud
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 4:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Bravo
I really like the church and the Star-shaped town, though the canals could be a tad deeper, as they are in real life. Also an idea I have for a tomb (or just as decoration) would be a Hunebed, which are prevalent in the Northern Netherlands and a few in Northern Germany.
As far as I know the originally were grave hills.

Looks interesting, though I'm not sure how I would remake that in TS3
Alchemist
#11 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 5:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by engdalmagnus01

This is a reconstructed one, it's not impossible (CFE ftw), but surely tricky indeed.
As previously mentioned, it could just be for decoration, it was just an idea

Soundcloud
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 5:33 PM
Should be possible with some terrain elevation and rocks littered about the place, but.....
I'm sorry, I have to correct you here. Those aren't hunebedden. Hunebedden are stacked, arranged rocks used as rudimentary tombs for the deceased. They consist of several stones carrying another, and thus elevated, stone, forming a semi-enclosed space. These were mostly constructed in the 4th millennium BC.

Already renewed for '89!

Alchemist
#13 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 6:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyCalledPi
Should be possible with some terrain elevation and rocks littered about the place, but.....
I'm sorry, I have to correct you here. Those aren't hunebedden. Hunebedden are stacked, arranged rocks used as rudimentary tombs for the deceased. They consist of several stones carrying another, and thus elevated, stone, forming a semi-enclosed space. These were mostly constructed in the 4th millennium BC.

Huhn, those pictures are from a site depicting a route along Hunebedden, including this one, stating it is a recreation of what they might have orinally looked like. Oh well.. looks like a nice tomb anyway.

Soundcloud
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 2:39 PM
What a beautiful city! Wow! And it looks so realistic! I love all the little details and can imagine that it took ages to build it like this. The small "old" part of the town behind what looks like an old fortification (is that the right word?) is beautiful. It reminds me of my hometown (Bremen in Germany) which has a similar looking star-shaped moat/water jump around the older parts of the city. Awesome work!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Mad Poster
#15 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 10:51 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 24th Feb 2019 at 11:32 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Bravo
Huhn, those pictures are from a site depicting a route along Hunebedden, including this one, stating it is a recreation of what they might have orinally looked like. Oh well.. looks like a nice tomb anyway.

Dutch tourism boards have a widely-known history of not being very good at the whole reality thing, including going around the country calling places Amsterdam when they very clearly aren't. Dumbing things down is easier and sells better ­čĄĚ

Anyway I guess it's in the same vein as Stonehenge. Guess it was just a trend everywhere, then, stacking rocks on top of one another. Beats TikTok.

Already renewed for '89!

Alchemist
#16 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:32 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 25th Feb 2019 at 5:07 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyCalledPi
Dutch tourism boards have a widely-known history of not being very good at the whole reality thing, including going around the country calling places Amsterdam when they very clearly aren't. Dumbing things down is easier and sells better ­čĄĚ

Anyway I guess it's in the same vein as Stonehenge. Guess it was just a trend everywhere, then, stacking rocks on top of one another. Beats TikTok.

What? I though the Netherlands was either Amsterdam or quaint villages full of tulips and windmills! /s
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 7:03 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 24th Feb 2019 at 7:57 PM.
They do their jobs well, unfortunately their job is to do a very very poor job. I feel like 98% of the world population would go all Pikachu face if they saw a picture of Rotterdam. Their heads would surely explode if they were told that we're a modern country with modern stuff that invented things like Bluetooth and the compact disk!

Already renewed for '89!

Instructor
#18 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 4:26 PM
Looks really promising!
You should go take a look at Dronningslund to see how they did a star fort, and see whether you wanna adopt a different style! Right now it looks good
Some suggestions: a bit more grass texture painting would be better (mixing it, like say 2 more) would enhance the layering and texturing of the grass ground a lot!
I like how you try to mix in various European styles!
Would you also consider using custom INI files to make custom sky and seawater?
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 5:34 PM
This looks stunning! I'm looking forward to playing it!

A few thoughts on the street names, as '├ťberstra├če' seems a bit weird to me. In Germany we usually use nouns to form street names, very often famous german people, trees (for example I live in Lindenstra├če and in my village there are pretty much streets for all trees in existence lol). Also very popular: Flowers, gemstones and town names (that's pretty funny when I think about it) like 'Regensburger Stra├če' or 'M├╝nchner Stra├če'.
Top Secret Researcher
DELETED POST
4th Mar 2019 at 7:04 AM
This message has been deleted by daisylee. Reason: posted in wrong place
Scholar
#20 Old 4th Mar 2019 at 8:59 AM
It looks great so far! Just one question, are you still building up this world? Or is this abandoned because you are working on Bergheim now?
dodgy builder
#21 Old 4th Mar 2019 at 1:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by engdalmagnus01

You can probably make that with a walk-in-basement. It may look difficult, but it's really only about putting your cursor in the right place. I'm a bit rusty in ts3 these days, but this tutorial should help you along:

Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 7:31 AM
I have done quite a few walk in basements for houses in 3. They are very fun to do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 8:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn
It looks great so far! Just one question, are you still building up this world? Or is this abandoned because you are working on Bergheim now?

Hi! Right now I'm not doing anything, but I have not abandoned it! I still have the files to both and will continue on them. School just started back for me yesterday . But right now Bergheim is my main focus.